proliferating trichilemmal cyst
Friday 7 December 2012
- Proliferating trichilemmal cysts grow rapidly and may also arise de novo.
- Although biologically benign, they may be locally aggressive, becoming large and ulcerated.
- Rarely, malignant transformation leads to distant metastases.
- No absolute clinical criteria can distinguish malignant from benign proliferating pilar tumors.
- The entire lesion must undergo histological evaluation to assess for malignancy.
- Atypia and a high mitotic rate are suggestive of malignancy.