mammary tubular adenoma
Thursday 3 January 2013
tubular adenoma of the breast
Breast: Tubular Adenoma : tubules without atypia in a moto perpetuo pattern
- p63 : https://www.flickr.com/photos/euthman/4351464088
- myosin : https://www.flickr.com/photos/euthman/4351463966
Definition: Tubular adenoma of the breast presents as a solitary, circumscribed, firm mass. Tubular adenoma of the breast is composed of closely packed small tubules lined by a layer of epithelial cells surrounded by myoepithelial layer.
Rare. Usually young women, occasionally older women (Breast Cancer 2000;7:169)
Solitary, well-circumscribed, tan-yellow, soft to firm mass.
Benign nodules formed by the compact proliferation of tubular structures with 2 cell layers.
Closely packed uniform small tubules lined by single layer of epithelial cells and attenuated myoepithelium; sparse stroma.
May have lymphocytic infiltrate, no atypia
- Smooth muscle actin SMA+
- vimentin + (Pathol Res Pract 1995;191:1222)
Adenomyoepithelioma, tubular variant
- prominent myoepithelium, not well circumscribed
- more stroma, less epithelium
Infiltrating ductal carcinoma
- irregular tubules, atypia, desmoplasia, infiltrative
Excision, does not recur.